Normally, inflammation is a natural part of the body’s healing ability to fight injury or infection. However, it does not always happen in response to injury or illness and that is when inflammation causes problems in the body by attacking healthy arteries, organs and joints. There are several ways to reduce inflammation that can not only lead to a more comfortable life, but can result in general good health and wellness.
What should you do to reduce inflammation within your body?
- Eat an anti-inflammatory diet. “Following an anti-inflammatory diet can help counteract the chronic inflammation that is a root cause of many serious diseases, including those that become more frequent as people age. It is a way of selecting and preparing foods based on science that can help people achieve and maintain optimum health over their lifetime.” Dr. Andrew Weill
Some foods to consider:
- Fruits — berries, cherries, oranges, avocados
- Green leafy vegetables — spinach, chard, broccoli
- Foods containing omega 3 fatty acids — salmon, tuna, hemp seeds, flax seeds
- Garlic, turmeric, ginger and green tea
- 4 – 5 times per week
- 30 – 45 minutes aerobic exercise
- 10 – 25 minutes strength training
- Manage Stress
- Practice Breathing Techniques – try Dr. Andrew Weill’s 4-7-8 Technique
- Get Plenty of Restful Sleep
- “Sleeping well can work directly to keep inflammation in check by avoiding the pro-inflammatory activity that occurs in the presence of poor, dysregulated sleep. And sleep offers us significant protection against stress, itself a major contributor to chronic inflammation — a now known pathway to disease.” Michael J Breus, Phd
What have you found to help reduce inflammation?! Send us your tips and we’ll be sure to highlight those in the future! Be sure to join us socially on Instagram, Facebook and /or LinkedIn — we love keeping up with our friends!